Sunday, December 2, 2007

MY VISITS WITH MONTELL OVER THE WEEKEND

12/02/07 – Today I arrived at the hospital at 2:25 p.m. and Montell was lying on his right side watching a football game. I noticed that he is his normal complexion today. Montell’s output was lighter today but still dark, he had 400 cc in the Foley. While we were doing the ABCs Montell let me know the following: He wanted me to turn him to his left side. He wanted me to help him touch the bed railing with his left hand after we did this he wanted his left hand to touch the air mattress and I helped him do it. Montell wanted me to cover him up. While I was saying the ABCs Montell drifted off to sleep and slept for about thirty minutes. When he work up he wanted me to place his right hand on his shoulder. Montell began to have frequent spasms around 3:35 p.m. I have noticed that they seem to come more in the evening than in the morning. Montell wanted to know what we were doing? I told him that we were watching a football game. Then he wanted to know why his left arm and hand were contracted and I told him it was because he didn’t get occupational therapy. Montell had me saying the ABCs again and he drifted off to sleep for thirty minutes and he woke up moaning. I asked him what was wrong and he let me know that he wanted his left hand to touch his right hand. I asked Montell if he had seen Dianne, the medical student this morning and he nodded “yes”. Montell let me know that he wanted a pillow behind his back. He wanted me change the little pillow that was under his head and put the larger pillow there, I did. Montell wanted me to move his left leg and elbow. Montell wanted a towel so he could wipe his mouth. Montell kept having me turning him from his right side to his left side and when I did he wanted to be back on his right side. After doing this three or four times, I told him to make up his mind which side he wanted to lay on and he decided to lay on his left side finally. The nurse came in and gave him some Baclofin through his feeding tube at 5:30 p.m. and took his vitals. His Blood Pressure was 109 over 71 and his Blood Sugar was 97. Montell just laid in his bed and watched television and would drift back and forth to sleep. When it was time for me to leave, I had to wake him up so that he would know that I was gone, I kissed him and told him that I would be back tomorrow.

12/01/07 – Today I arrived at the hospital at 1:00 p.m. and when I got to Montell’s room he waslying on his left side in a fetal position. By doing the ABCs Montell let me know the following: He wanted the call button. He wanted to know what we were watching, I told him the Jamie Fox Show and he indicated that he wanted to watch a football game, I changed the channel to one. Montell let me know that he had his air mattress. He wanted me to move his left hand up on the pillow. He wanted to wanted to know what time I was leaving? I told him 8 p.m. and he nodded his head up and down.

At l:50 p.m. they came in to take Montell for an MRI. I asked the guard if I could accompany them. The guard call Stateville and made them aware that Montell was going to another location for a MRI and the person he was speaking too told him I had to leave the room while they were gone and that I couldn’t accompany them. I also found out that when an inmate is being transported there must be two guards. They returned back to the room at 3:25 p.m. I noticed that Montell’s output is a deeper and darker color of yellow today, yesterday it was much lighter. A nurse came in and took his blood sugar it was 85. She told me that this must be done every six hours. Montell wanted me to lay his left hand on the pillow and then he drifted off to sleep for about twenty minutes while I was saying the ABCs to him.

When Montell woke up he wanted me to put his left hand under the pillow. Later on he wanted me to remove it because he wanted to make a fist and wanted me to put it under the covers. Then he wanted me to turn him to his left side and he wanted to hold the call button again. I noticed that as it gets later in the evening that Montell has more spasms. As I was sitting and watching him I noticed that the color of his skin was getting darker.

At 7:03 p.m. Montell let me know that he needed to be cleaned. I rung the call button some one answered and I let them know what I wanted. I had to push the call button at 7:13 p.m. again because no one had came in and Montell began moaning and crying. I asked if it was burning him and he nodded yes. At 7:30 p.m. the RN came in and stated that she would have to get some help but before she left she took the empty IV bag and brought in another one and left. I went into the bathroom at 7:35 p.m. and wet a towel and came back and opened his Depend and began wiping him myself, Betty came in and helped me clean Montell up and then she took his vitals.
Montell’s blood pressure was 99 over 68, his pulse was 89, oxygen level 98, respiration 92 and his temperature was 97.6. I thanked Betty for helping me. At 7:50 p.m. the RN returned to the room with another person but we had already cleaned Montell up. Montell was non-verbal today. I kissed Montell good night and told him I would see him tomorrow after Mother and I came from church probably around 2 p.m, he nodded his head up and down.

11/30/07 – Today I arrived at the hospital at 12:45 p.m. but didn’t get to see Montell until 3:05 p.m. because they didn’t have the necessary paperwork for me at the front desk. When I did get there Montell was lying on his right side in a fetal position. He wanted me to put his left hand up on the pillow for him and to put a pillow between his right and left legs so they didn’t touch each other. Later on Dianne the medical student came in and asked me some questions about Montell’s medical history. A team of doctors came into the room and examined Montell’s bedsores and the ulcers on his feet. Montell wanted to know what they were doing?

After they left Dianne then listened to his heart and lungs and said they sounded good. She told me that she was going to order a MRI for him and that a wound care counselor would also be checking his bedsores and the ulcers on his feet. When she was examining the area where the feeding tube is inserted Montell indicated that it was hurting him. She listened to the sounds in his stomach and said that they were very soft. After she left Montell drifted off to sleep for awhile when he woke up he wanted me to put his left hand under the pillow and lay it flat. I noticed that his output was very light yellow. When I woke him up to let him know that I would be leaving, he let me know that his mattress wasn’t comfortable to him. I told him that they were ordering him a air mattress and kissed him good night. I told him that I would be back tomorrow. Montell wasn’t very active today

No comments: